REDUCE YOUR TRAVEL IMPACTS ON THE CLIMATE!
Travel allows many of us to connect with our loved ones and enrich our experiences on this beautiful planet. Yet we know that traveling contributes to greenhouse gas emissions. Here are some resources and ideas on how to reduce your travel impacts on the climate.
5 ways to reduce the carbon footprint of your travel:
- Consider buses or trains for short trips (under 500 miles).
- When you fly, choose nonstop economy.
- For 1 or 2 travelers, nonstop economy flights beat driving an average car.
- For car trips, drive the most efficient car possible and avoid SUVs.
- Buy carbon offsets your travel.
Two good carbon offset choices:
Here are three useful resources on ways to lessen your climate impact and continue to explore:
The Ocean Foundation: How to reduce your carbon footprint when you travel
Sustainable Travel International: How to reduce the carbon footprint of your travels
Washington Post, 9/10/21, How to actually make your travel better for the planet